Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Thursday, June 28, 2007

King's Indian D

I am starting to learning a little theory about some of the deeper openings: the Ruy Exchange Variation and the Kings Indian Defense. I revisiting a book from a few years ago Chess:the art of Logical thinking by Neil Mcdonald. This is a book like Chernov Logical Chess Move by Move but with modern games with modern openings. There are 2 King Indian Defense games deeply annotated for the improving player.

Game 21 &22


http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1003229

5 Comments:

  • At 12:04 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    Actually I was pretty succesful with the KID when I tried it years ago. But I didn't like the positions so I abandoned it. I'm curious if it fits you.

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    I read that the KID is considered to be a counterattacking defense by Gallagher and others. I decided to blindly accept this statement and play it until I develop a feel for it. It certainly does not feel like the two knights defense where the counterattack can begin immediately.

    The eventual e5 push for black fights for the center and I feel I can play this evenly for a while even against better competition than I . It is not my nature to play this way but I feel the Queen P opening demands this of me. I do enjoy playing it as I now feel I can withstand direct attacks on the Kingside.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said…

    I have just started playing the Nimzo-Indian and I love it. Dearing has a wonderful book on it. King's indian, isn't that a fianchetto opening? Bah humbug! Play the Nimzo!!!

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger takchess said…

    I played the nimzo for a while but all it seem to do for me was to lose me the bishop pair. Then I played the tarrash which was okay. The financhetto in the KID which becomes blocked with e5 I am enjoying.
    I feel like a counter punching boxer who is daring his opponent to attack and will get two to three hits against my opponent as he tries to break through.

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger katar said…

    KID is more sophisticated and subtle than typical TAKchess openings b/c you attack with a mobile wall of pawns rather than with only pieces. look at Taimanov - Najdorf, Zurich 1953. Kasparov's old KID games are the pinnacle of the opening.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home