Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

CT-Art 3 has arrived

Just got my valentines gift from my wife. Nothing says I love you like good chess tactic software. 8) I did help her pick it out. Played around with it a little and
need to take a good look at the help file.

Friday at Chess Club , I will see if I see the board better after doing these vision drills. Although I think it will prove too early to notice any improvement.

Hope to pretty up my blog this weekend and figure how to link to the other Knights.
Thanks Temposchlucker for the idea for the Mnemonic. I think I will make a sentence with the key words of each principle. That normally works for me. More on this latter once I figure it out.

Jim

4 Comments:

  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    Says "I love you" or says "I like to have a quiet evening so I can see my favorite soap without disturbance"?

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger fussylizard said…

    I use the following mnemonic: GLOMP.

    G = Geometry (opposition of pieces, potential knight and pawn forks, skewers, etc.)
    L = Loose/underdefended pieces
    O = Open lines
    M = Mobility (pieces with few available squares that could be trapped, king boxed in, etc.)
    P = pins

    I should probably add another letter or two for completeness (lack of king defense is a big theme in CT-Art).

    Typically I look at a problem and if I don't see the tactical shot after a minute or two, I will run through GLOMP to help me identify the tactical elements in the position which will often help me find the killer move. Unfortunately, it takes too much time to do this for every move (at least for me so far). So really you want to do the tactics over and over until your pattern recognition can do the brunt of the work.

    Good luck!

    Regards,
    Chris

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger fussylizard said…

    Oh BTW: The documentation with CT-Art is a bit disappointing. I suggest creating a new user, and then using the navigator to select "Grades by difficulty" (at the top) and then do "Practice" (button on the bottom). Start with problem 1 and go from there.

    Other useful stuff: you can click the "Statistics" button on the toolbar and get the Statistics panel. "Practice results" shows you your overall % by level. "Elo dynamics" is useful for seeing your overall progress and seeing what level each problem is.

    There are probably other useful functions in CT-Art, but those are the main ones I use/know about.

     
  • At 12:46 AM, Blogger King of the Spill said…

    I have attempted to use this with not alot of success as far as making better moves:
    TompacksI actually have added hanging pieces and immobilized pieces making mnemonic "Hi Tom Packs"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home