Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Ideas on the Lazy Way (Part One )






Tempo the Explorer has decided to take the easy way out : The Lazy way. Avoiding Trial and Error attempts to solve problems and go directly to the solution and learn from that. I look forward to reading his blog entries over the next month.


This idea has always been very interesting to me over the past couple of years and I have tried some different things around it. Take a look at my post from Feb 25,2005 my first week of tactical training entitled :Do I really have to Solve the tactical exercise?





I would like it if CT-ART or a program like it had an automatic slide show type of feature where it would show you the position for 10 seconds then automatically play the moves in front of you then on to the next problem . I feel this would be a very effective way to learn. This concept has always reminded me of Malcolm Mcdowell from the movie The Clockwork Orange being reprogramed against his will.


I believe there may be an negative impact of attempting to solve a problem and getting it wrong. I believe there may be a form of Correct Pattern Recognition Interference where one creates a pattern recognition memory connected to the wrong attempts. Much like a person who constantly practices a golf swing with imperfect technique. It may be better to have never practiced it at all. I have heard this idea expressed as Practice does not make Perfect but Perfect Practice makes Perfect.
Here are some things I have tried to do to overcome Correct Pattern Recognition Interference:
When I first did my L20 circles a year ago toward the end when I was totally frustrated with my minimal progress I would try to solve the problem. If I got it wrong, I would then solve the problem 10 times in rapid succession. It is probably would be good policy anytime during any circe on incorrect problems to him the back button and solve it at least once.

more to follow......

3 Comments:

  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    I read thru the comments of your archived post. The common idea by then seemed to be that if you don't recognize the important patterns, you have to calculate them. Regarding my latest experiments, that is nonsense. If I don't recognize all the important motives, I simply start to waste my time with more trial and error. Without a clue, you can't start with calculating.

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    i tend to do that with my book of chess problems. i look at the answer then study and see why that works...

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home