Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Sunday, November 13, 2005

It was fun

Any day one can devote the whole day to chess is a good day! I left my first tournament playing in the unrated/under 1200 with one win, one draw, and two losses.
I made some early simple tactical errors in my losses. first game I fell victim to a Knight fork. I protected against a Knight fork on one square that I saw while overlooking a fork from another square. The other was an sacrifice gone wrong: In a post game review with my opponent, we saw that I could of come out of it with a rook and a pawn for a knight and a pawn. Live and learn.

I've discovered that I will never own an analog chess clock.tick tick tick. I felt like I was in a 1930's Alfred Hitchcock movie. I also found it dificult to record moves and had to rely on my opponent scoresheets for the game. I felt the games were not as well played as a typical game at the chess club, at work during lunch or on the net.

My best played game was the draw which I have posted below.

Event NH State Tournament ]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round 3]
[White Jim Takchess]
[Black Don ]
[Result draw ]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bc4 g6 7. Bg5 Bg7 8. Qd2
O-O 9. O-O-O Bd7 10. Rhe1 Qc8 11. h3 Re8 12. Qd3 Nc6 13. Nxc6 Bxc6 14. Bxf6 Bxf6
15. Bd5 Be5 16. Kb1 Bd7 17. g4 c6 18. Bb3 b5 19. f4 Bxf4 20. Rf1 g5
21. Rxf4 gxf4 22. Qxd6 Be6 23. Bxe6 fxe6 24. Qxf4 Rf8 25.Qg5+ Kh8 26. Qe5+ Kg8
27. Qg5+ Kh8 28. Qe5+ Kg8 29. Qg5+ Kf7 30. Rf1+ Ke8 31. Qh5+ Kd7 32. Qxh7+ Kd6 33. e5+ Kc5 34. Qe7+ Kb6 35. Na4+ bxa4 36. Qb4+ Ka7 37. Qc5+ Kb7 38. Qb4+ Kc7 39. Qd6+ Kb7 40. Qb4+ Kc7 41. Qd6+))*

paste into this pgn viewer

7 Comments:

  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said…

    Glad to hear you had a good time and learned a lot.

    PS

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said…

    Wild game!!

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said…

    Way to put that king on the run. Really cool. How good does that feel when your opponent is running around like that unable to mobilize any of his heavy pieces?

    I hear you when it comes to clocks and keeping score. Having only been in two tournaments I'm still finding that some of the actual aspects of conducting the game are cumbersome. If the board/mat doesn't have notation on it, then I find I frequently make errors in my notation. Thanks for sharing the game.

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said…

    That's the attitude - Fun!

    I know what you mean - I don't like ticking much either.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good job Jim!

    This past weekend in my tournament there was this kid who kept making noises drinking and eating. I gave him the Ninja Death Stare several times until he finally stopped. [grin]

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    smack smack sluuurp belch smack smack _licks fingers_ smack smack slurrrp

     
  • At 4:36 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    now that's funny...

    I surprised it wasn't smack,smack, slurp,slurp followed by a loud
    THUMPPPPPPPPPPPPP

     

Post a Comment

<< Home