Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Day 13 : Friday Night Chess Club

Lost a number of games at the chess club last night. I don't mine losing so much since they were both strong players who have been at it much longer than I. Played
the black side of a Ruy against Bob who I haven't beaten yet. Got through the early opening without tactical mistakes and was pushing a strong attack against his castled king. He ended up trading queens to release the presure.

Later during one move, I did my calculations on my position.Went through a bunch of variations and saw that one move that on the surface looked good ended up losing a piece for me. At the end of my calculation, I forgot this and ended up moving and losing the piece.

I need to do a final sanity check before making all moves.

Going throught the Bain book seems to be helping me quickly identify tactical ideas as well as make better trades. I also am making fewer counting mistakes after reading this: A Counting Primer

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman15.pdf

2 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    When you come further you will notice that the counting almost disappears. On a certain moment you just know or even see how beneficial a compound exchange is. Without any counting.

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said…

    TS, that's interesting. How do you do your counting? Do you use the Reinfeld point system or the one that Dan Heisman suggests?

    PS

     

Post a Comment

<< Home