Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Sunday, September 11, 2005

1953 Zurich Book

Trying to vary my chess diet a little. Finally took off the shelf my Bronstein book on the 1953 Zurich International Chess Tournament. I sometimes don't understand all the subtle nuances of David Bronstein analysis but find it enjoyable to play through the games and try to understand as best I can.


http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1003015


I am finding the analysis of the first two games has subtle lessons attached. Game 1 regarding Dark Square Games and Game 2 speaks to Nardorfs calculating out stalemates options. Bronstein has a less is more analysis style, discusses ideas and addresses far fewer variations than the "move by move' books.



Take a look at the games link but I suggest those interested should buy the book.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said…

    takchess, you might want to turn on word verification to prevent comment spam like that above.

    I worked through most of the first round of the Zurich book before starting my tactics circles. It does have a lot of good info in it. What I liked best about Game 1, was that it shows GM's think at a very high level strategically (taking out the opps dark square bishop specifically to play on the dark squares) and then go about seeing, tactically, how to do it. I'm still working my way through Test Your Positional Play, but when I'm done, maybe I'll take out the Zurich book again.

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said…

    It's always nice to find a chess book that speaks to you, if I may be so sappy. Truly, there are some god awful excuses for chess literature out there. Many GM's and even great GM's don't know how to explain things for the rest of us mortals. Thanks for the tip.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home