Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Fritz Database of my games

I have around 600 of my games in my fritz database. Many which have been fritz-annotated. Normally after I run the fritz program, I look at the analysis once and I move on. I would like to come up with a more effective way to study them. Perhaps I can study them in groups by openings and identify positions in the game which are turning points. From there I can save the position for further indepth study and perhaps play against Fritz using that position.

I hope at one point to gather some statistic around openings. Do I fare better as black in the two knights games vs white against the french > I bet I do.

I am interested in what others have found helpful in the study of their games.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:40 AM, Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said…

    I'm not really into studying games yet, but your idea seems like a good one to be going about.

     
  • At 6:44 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Hi I hope all is well in Sweden. Your best bet is to leave an message on Tempo's blog. He is the keeper of the Knights.
    welcome back
    Jim

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said…

    I have started a game notebook.

    I find those positions, using Fritz, where my evaluation function took a dive. I then study why, copy an image of the board (this is easy in Fritz using the File-->Save Position in the menu), and paste it into my notebook in MS Word. In the margin, I say what Fritz says I should have played (and why), what I did play, and what my mistake was. (More specifically, I describe the mistake, and the step of my thought process in which I failed: e.g., blundercheck, basic tactics, etc).

    If it was an opening mistake, I fire up Bookup and enter the "on book" line into my repertoire, usually three or so moves into the book sequence, so I don't make that opening mistake again.

    I have found this to be the fastest way to get an overall analysis of my performance.

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    From time to time I study my games solely to get insight of trends. When I'm on the trace of a trend I adjust my study and forget about the games.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home