Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Tournament Experiences-First Day





I played my first day in the two day 4 game swiss tournament under 1250 with time controls of 40 moves 2 hours and 1 hour Sudden Death. I found these time controls and my forcing myself to spend time analyzing each position closer lead to better play. I found it helpful,when I came to an unclear position, to physically turn my scoresheet over and put my pencil behind my ear. This helped me slow down the game. Overall I was able to follow the thread of the games well and was only surprised by one of my opponents moves. I missed some tactical opportunities but none that changed the direction of the game.

I won both games I played. The first was against a High School Student who played the Ruy Lopez as White. I played the classical system. He played like many lower rated people on the internet play against it. He took my Knight before I put the question to the bishop and then greedily took my e5 pawn. Traditionally I see higher rated players castling first before these moves against the classical.

Paste this game segment into this pgn viewer
1. e4 {0} e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Bc5 4. Bxc6 dxc6 5. Nxe5 Qd4 6. Nd3 Qxe4+ 7. Kf1

At 7 White choices are Kf1 and Queen e2 then we trade queens and he castles by hand.See below for the opening position. I think Queen e2 was the better choice.
Fritz shows blacks position up by a pawn. Not an overwhelming advantage but now I have equalized and play with some inititive. This is an opening I want to study more as I like to play e5 to e4 and I need a solid Ruy defense. The game ended with an king side pawn push by white, I eventually got my queen free to harrass check and take some pawns on the queenside. Eventually forking the queen and king and forcing a queen trade. Then it was a simple endgame (even for me 8))with passed pawns on the queenside.

Second game was against a younger player who played the 2 knights defense aggressively and well. See the position in my screenshot. White to move.
After some initial trouble misplaying the opening, I grabbed the initiative in a mating attack and captured his queen. I'll try to post the games if I can figure them out from my game record.

Also here is how Koltanowski dealt with a simalar game position as white.

[Event "corr"]
[Site "corr"]
[Date "1940.??.??"]
[Round "0"]
[White "Koltanowski,George"]
[Black "Zeitlin,S"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Eco "C55"]
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.0-0 Nxe4 5.d4 d5 6.Bb5 exd4 7.Nxd4 Bd7 8.Bxc6 bxc6
9.c4 Be7 10.Nc3 Nf6 11.Bg5 c5 12.Bxf6 Bxf6 13.Re1+ Kf8 14.Nf3 d4 15.Nd5 Bc6 16.Nxf6 Qxf6
17.Ne5 Qd6 18.Qh5 g6 19.Qh6+ Kg8 20.Nxc6 Qxc6 21.Re7 Re8 22.Rae1 Rxe7 23.Rxe7 Qf6 24.Re8+
1-0

[Event "San Francisco sim blind"]
[Site "San Francisco"]
[Date "1960.??.??"]
[Round "0"]
[White "Koltanowski,George"]
[Black "Richardson,Keith B"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Eco "C55"]
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.0-0 Nxe4 5.d4 d5 6.Bb5 Bd7 7.Bxc6 bxc6 8.Nxe5 f6
9.Qh5+ Ke7 10.Qf7+ Kd6 11.Bf4 g5 12.Nc4+ 1-0



In a few hours the 2nd day of the tournament starts. I am not going to attend due to a heavy nor'easter >This is New England Slang for a snow storm with cold air out of the northeast normally accompanied by high winds and heavy accumulation<. I can't convince my wife it is a good idea for me to go.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said…

    You call yourself a New Englander? When I was a boy, I would drive from Portsmouth to Hanover in six feet of snow in my rear-wheel drive Gremlin, which had no tires, not even wheels. It just had axels. And they were greased. And it was a convertible. But I couldn't find the top.

    Congratulations, and be safe! That looks like a scary position in the second game.

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said…

    Congrats on your tourney wins, and thanks for sharing your games! Too bad you didn't get a chance to unleash the Traxler.

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger takchess said…

    Bkd 8). My wife told me not to go it wasn't the weather I was afraid of................ *).
    PMD

    Shame I didn't get a traxler game. It's seem strange to me that I was prepared for the blacks response to my opening considering that I play it all the time.

    Next tournament I will play in is in June so I will get some CT-art practice before that.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger takchess said…

    should read I wasn't prepared

     
  • At 11:21 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said…

    Way to go.

    Interesting positions there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home