Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Endgame Link

I have 60 problems and a few games to play before I complete my first pass of Alburts Comprehensive Chess Course v2.


I continue to work on understanding Simple K vs K and P endgames. My plan is to memorize a few simple endgames positions to use as models so I can simplify to reaching a known favorable position. For example the K&P endgames in position 1 of my earlier post.

I feel as though understanding these very simple things will provide a new way for me to analyse a position. In my Mednis video, he shows a complex position where white is behind in material. White forces his opponent's pawn to take on the A file so he can transpose the game into a known drawn endgame (Position A).

I have about 7 books on the Endgames so I will drill down in these as well as the web articles to chose which games to study. I saw this Dan Heisman article in my travels.

Heisman King vs King and Pawn Explanation

1 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said…

    Endgame knowledge is powerful. No doubt. It gives you clarity and quite frankly makes me more comfortable with certain middlegame positions. My knowledge is by no means complete, but what I do know about endgames has helped me tremendously.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home