Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Friday, November 10, 2006

My Mantra



There exists an extremely large group of chess players who are no longer beginners nor, on the other hand, masters or point hunters, but players who aim primarily at deriving an aesthetic satisfaction from the game. For such players an attacking game is more attractive than positional technique and they will continue to attack regardless of risk., for their stormy contest are not going to be noted down in theoretical textbooks.

From the introduction to Art of Attack in Chess Vukovic

Of course it is attitudes like this that force me to play games like this. paste game in here
[White "Krolock"]
[Black "Takchess"]
[Result "0-1"]

1. e4 {1} e5 {2} 2. Nf3 {1} Nc6 {2} 3. Bb5 {2} Nf6 {4} 4. Bxc6 {2} dxc6 {3} 5.
O-O {1} Bg4 {9} 6. d3 {8} h5 {7} 7. h3 {13} Bc5 {6} 8. Bg5 {7} Qd7 {20} 9. Bxf6
{4} gxf6 {5} 10. hxg4 {1} hxg4 {3} 11. Nxe5 {12} Qd8 {35} 12. Qxg4 {13} Ke7 {16
} 13. Nf3 {24} Rh7 {21} 14. g3 {1} Qh8 {15} 15. Nh4 {2} Rg8 {7} 16. Qf3 {10}
Rxh4 {4} 17. Nd2 {5} Rh3 {29} 18. Kg2 {6} Rh2+ {9} 19. Kg1 {2} Qh3 {7} 20. Nc4
{22} Rxg3+ {4} 21. Qxg3 {6} Qxg3# {(Lag: Av=0.59s, max=1.6s) 3} 0-1

6 Comments:

  • At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Once you grow older you will have to learn to appreciate the underlying beauty in stead of those superficial features. Otherwise a divorce or a facelift beomes inevitable. I'm talking about chess, of course.

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautyful! It's guys like you that remind one of what fun and excitement there is to be found in chess. Keep it up!

    /Chris

     
  • At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is a difference between accepting risk (like Vukovic says) and playing completely unsound (bad) chess.

    Please see my annotation.

    If you truly want to improve you will have to play better opponents (who will punish you *severely* if you try such nonsense) and also try to be more objective with your analysis. Publishing losses is a good start towards being more objective. In this game, your opponent got a 4-pawn advantage, which means you should have lost.

    It's obvious that you have tactical skill-- you could be so much better if you just played sound chess. You have to decide whether you want shortterm or longterm satisfaction.

     
  • At 3:44 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Samurai,thanks for the kind words. however, I believe there was nothing virtuous about this game until move 16. I did enjoy the last portion, the attack on the castled position, exploitation of the pin and coordination of the major pieces to open the files and mate.

    Patrick,
    thank you for nicely annotating that game. You are completely correct. I should of been severely punished. After the game I was well aware of it.
    Despite my silliness and bravado of these post I actually do play some sound chess (at least sounder)
    and am working toward that end. I play alot of quick casual 20+ 6 games on playchess and sometimes I enjoy following speculative paths to see where they lead me. I must admit there are time I really do enjoy playing bad chess.Believe me I am severely punished by players better than I and can still enjoy the skill shown in those game. I do think despite all this I am getting better.

    As for publishing losses, I had planned to do so today. I had a nice game at chess club last night where I was strangled by a pawn chain. Hopefully, I will be able to reconstruct it from my record of the game. Thanks again

     
  • At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I understand. I play downright reckless crazy chess in my blitz games with my buddies. But not in rated tournament games. :)

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said…

    This game is like reading a comic book...BAM! POW! OOOFFF!

    They say that blitz tends to breed bad habits, and this is probably true. But it is so friggin' fun to take chances and get away with it....it's like toilet papering someone's house. Or egging cars. Not that I do that anymore, I mean ever, oh whatever, you know what I mean.

    Thanks for sharing your game.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home