Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Monday, September 03, 2007

On Blunderprone, the Scotch Gambit and Ct-art

Sunday, I took a ride to Manchester NH to watch some games of the New England Open which a number of my chess playing friends were taking part in. I had a pleasant lunch with Blunderprone and protegy of BP who were both playing in the tourney. Had some yucks and now the chain is somewhat extended: Transformer DK met BP who met Takchess. He played the Scotch Gambit as white and played a hard fought 4 hour plus game which ended in a drawn endgame. George, I would enjoy seeing that game posted and what computer analysis shows.

Coincidently at the same time I was playing against the Scotch Gambit in the skittles room against a fellow against in past tournaments. We were discussing the various lines in this sharp opening. I have some ideas as to how to address it a little better now that I have thought about it for a while. I find it interesting how the lines of the Goring Gambit, Danish Gambit, Four Knights, G.Piano at points transpose to each other. I think to face it I will need to play the Max Lange Lines.

I am getting into CT-ART L30 and this minicircle is starting to gell. When I do problems I often reflect on the pseudoscience that is chess improvement. One of the ongoing discussion is the appropriate level of problem difficulty. Some believe it is important to do a string of easier problem as not to lose the pattern recognition of them. I suspect that doing the difficult problems you still are using the pattern recognition of easier tactics encapsulated within. Looking at a problem you may see the elements of a Anastasia mate then its a matter of explores ways to deflect guards, open lines, interfere with protection.

My next tournament is October and I am looking forward to having good board vision and tactical play.

Update: to 573 ,175 L30 problems today Labor day Tacticthon.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said…

    I vacillate between 'actively work on the simple' and your position stated here. I guess a good test is, if I pick up Bain's book and it takes me longer than 10 seconds to solve a problem, then I should work to stay 'fresh' with the basics.

    I have also found that ONLY working on the simple problems blinds me to more interesting forced sequences and combinations in games. Now that I am working on more complicated sequences in CTB, I have started to look for them (and sometimes find them) in real games.

    So, my hunch is that it is probably useful to do both.

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said…

    BP = bear paw.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger transformation said…

    forgive my inclusion off topic Takchess, but time to time, i have big posts, as you do, and this one today aught not to disappoint. warmly, dk

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Jeremy Burgess said…

    The Scotch Gambit remains my favourite opening as white after 2...Nc6 as I am one for slightly unsound, chaotic positions (frequently found in the Scotch) over more subdued play.
    Any ideas about the line:
    1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.d4 exd
    4.Bc4 Nf6
    5.0-0 Nxe4
    [6.Nxd4 d5 7.Bb5 a6 8.Nxc6 Qd7 9.Ne7 axb5 10.Nxd5]
    6.Re1 d5
    7.Bxd5 Qxd5
    8.Nc3 Qa5

     

Post a Comment

<< Home