Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Saturday, August 25, 2007

My Dream



Most Chess Bloggers, Knights and others look to develop systems that when used prevent blunders. Most of these are very structured and are somewhat mechanical. I have not been very successful using such a blunderproofing system but then again I have not put any substained effort finding one that I like and making it a part of my game.

I have banked my efforts on the idea that solving repetative problems over time will develop a type of Super Chess Vision where I just see things on the board naturally. My Tactical Spider Sense to start tingling when something was happening. That is the dream, isn't it? Anyway, it is my dream.

I am stubborn. I am holding on to a chess belief system that may not be all that valid. Especially when I look at the experience of those who have done tons of these drills Blunderprone,J'adoube, Tempo,MDLM come to mind. All I know is when I do a ton of problems in a short period for some reason I get better. I am in one of the periods of substained effort now.

Finished another L20 of CT-ART. I also finished all the problem of CT for beginners. So now I have seen all the problems once. I must say there are a handful of endgame problems that are very deep.

Update.

On Saturday did a complete l20 circle in am and another complete circle in the pm.

Sunday. Hopefully I will get a circle of L30 completed by tomorrow. I only have 60 to go but it is mentally taxing scoring only 30-40% on them. It is simalar to when I first started doing the L20 how strange some of the mating nets seemed to me at the time.
Sunday Update-Finished L30 at 45% total.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger BlunderProne said…

    Tak,

    I am toying with the idea of making it to the NE open over Labor day weekend in Manchester.

    I will miss round 1 ( moving another child to college) but might very well make it for saturday evening and the rest of the long weekend.

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    Thinking for yourself can look like stubbornness for the outer world.

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Hi BP, I may or may not make this depending. I want to play in Bow in October and I am uncertain if I can sell playing in both of them. I will let you know who knows I may be able to make a guest apperance. I will let you know.

    Tempo,
    *grin*

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said…

    Great to see you working so hard at CT-Art! How do you attack individual problems?

    So far the hardest problem at CTB was a KP endgame with one black and one white pawn on the board. I still don't really understand why it's a draw. I know it's a draw intellectually, but am not at the point where it is more than just memorized.

     
  • At 4:16 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    BDK,

    Since I done L20 so many time before I take a look at the position and make a move. I don't have patience for long thinks. I do try to reflect on the answer.
    L20 problems often have multiple elements that look like the right path so I am placing an emphasis on why one path works and the others do not.

    I have to fight lazy thinking where I do not view the whole board. Doing the L20 twice on Sunday was me just building a base to better approach l30.

    As for L30, I wish I could do 4 circles just clicking through the answers. Now, I look at the problem, calculate for no longer than a minute and move. For me gaining momentum is just as important as getting the right answer. Some L30 are very transparent and I wonder why they are classified as such.

    When I saw the CTB endgame problems the other day,I did not view them as beginner problems. I now enjoy studying endgames and I think it will lead to some points for me. I played a pawn down endgame against the Ruy last night and drew. Fritz showed I had an endgame win . I felt if I hadn't studyed endgames this would of been a game I would of lost.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home