Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Friday, March 11, 2005

Day 18: Move by Move books

With all this tactical exercises, I haven't been playing over any master games lately. After posting this, I plan to play through the Game that changed me on Mr Nezh website.

Of the far too many chess books that I own, the ones that I have actually completed are the Move by Move books that I own. Chess Master vs Chess Amateur by Euwe, Logical Chess Move by Move by Chernev, Russian Chess by Pandolfini. I like that they comment on every move and have been of great help to me in understanding more of the game. As a Novice player. I had a hard time understanding why a Knight would be developed to D2 and why d4 would be played as whites first move.

I recently bought Chess: The art of logical thinking by Neil Mcdonald. I have played through a handful of games and like it very much. It fills in the gaps that the older books do not address : Sicilian Defense , Center Game , Flank Openings, D4 Nf6 openings. All Games were played within the last 20 years. This is the book Chernev would of written if were alive today.

Tactical studies going well. Doing the Knight Sight now as well as the simple tactics from Bain Chess Tactics for Students. (on my 4th round) I believe there is more value for me doing very basic tactical training at this point. I equate it to building a base for a marathon runner. (One needs to run 6 miles consistantly and increase the distance slowly until one is able to run 26 miles)

2 Comments:

  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    Maybe "understanding chess move by move" from John Nunn is something for you. It is very well written and starts with move 1.

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    I own that book and like it. I have Euwe Road to chess mastery as well. Nunn's book has alot of varations. These are on my list to read. However most of my chess time is going to tactics as it should . thanks for the comment
    Jim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home