Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Italian Gambit ,Random Statistics,Fried Liver

Picked up the Italian Gambit book by Acers which speaks alot to the Italian Game and 2 Knights games . I became curious statistically as to how well I fare as White and Black playing the 2 Knights defense.

In my database of Saved Games, I did the statistics on games since 1/20/2006.

I played 9 2 Knights games as white of these I won 4 and lost 5. I played 30 2 knights games as black of which I won 13 and lost 17.

As to skill level of my opponents I could determine 21 of their ratings. Of these I was rated lower at the time of playing 18 of 21 times.

The book I find interesting there is alot of discusion of the Italian game
1. e4 e5
2. Nc3 Nf6
3. Bc4 Bc5
4. d4

Trouble is statistically I find most people myself included like to play the Two Knights Defense. 3....Bf6.There is only 30 pages devoted to the 2 Knights. They are however 30 very good pages. One of the things I picked up was some ideas around delaying the Fried Liver Attack by a tempo or two to make it far stronger. Opening the e-file,Castling first for a much stronger attack.

For comparison sake I have the traditional Fried Liver which is a longer battle and if Black is a good defender has a fair chance of winning.If he is able to swap off enough pieces, his king is well activated for a strong endgame.

Classic Fried liver attack
Traditionally Ng5 is played on the 3rd move. White hasn't castled. White rooks don't enter into the attack till much later.

Morphy game

Check out whites move 4 d4 7 00 and 10 Nc3!!.

Fischer shows his knowledge of Morphy games

Check out Whites 6 d4 7 0-0 12. Nc3

I also find it interesting that Nxf7 is delayed until blacks Be7. Very good things to know.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:43 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:45 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    Interesting stuff. Since I started endgame study I look with one eye to new openings. What do you play with white against the Sicilian?

     
  • At 2:12 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    I am currently playing the Smith-Morra. I enjoy the openings style of play but I am not currently having good results with it. I have the burgess book on it,some pgn files and need to study more on it. Before playing this, I had good results with a more standard Sicilian play where I castled queenside and pushed my pawns on the king.

     
  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said…

    I have Heisman's disc on the Loli and Fried Liver. I play the fried liver now, but once it starts biting my ass I'll switch to the Loli most likely. So far I usually win with the Liver, and it is fun, and leads to a crazy open game.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home