Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Sunday, December 31, 2006

If I have to play a Sicilian

I have been thinking about options for the New Years Day tourney.

I plan on playing the King Gambit as white if allowed.

I would be happy to face a scandiavian or an Alekine as white.

If I play against a Sicilian, I plan to play the Smith Mora Gambit. I have been torn between the SM and the Grand Prix. The reality is it would be very hard for me to beat a very good Sicilian Player regardless. I played this practice game today using the SM and after playing a very shaky middlegame ended up with this interesting queen trap.

paste game into this viewer.
[Event "Rated game, 60m + 15s"]
[White "Takchess"]

1. e4 {4} c5 {3} 2. d4 {15} cxd4 {18} 3. c3 {45} dxc3 {36} 4. Nxc3 {14} e6 {5}
5. Bc4 {4} a6 {13} 6. Nf3 {22} Qc7 {34} 7. Qe2 {13} d6 {6} 8. O-O {8} Nd7 {9}
9. Rd1 {62} Ngf6 {17} 10. Bg5 {34} Be7 {10} 11. Rac1 {7} O-O {54} 12. e5 {130}
dxe5 {191} 13. Ne4 {79} Qd8 {53} 14. Nd6 {81} Nd5 {36} 15. Nxe5 {61} Nxe5 {308}
16. Bxe7 {128} Qxe7 {424} 17. Qxe5 {8} f6 {64} 18. Qg3 {186} Kh8 {77} 19. Rxd5
{20} exd5 {51} 20. Bxd5 {10} Bd7 {185} 21. h3 {55} Bc6 {27} 22. Nf5 {11} Qd7 {
37} 23. Be6

5 Comments:

  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Ron said…

    Hey takchess,

    Next time I get a chance to play a game with you online, I'd be happy to play the Scandinavian against you...it's all I play against 1.e4.

    Ron
    (Kknight)

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Takchess,

    As much as I wanted to play in the Herb Healy today, I could only convince my wife in allowing me a brief cameo. Not knowing what you actually looked like, nor not having a clue to what your name was and therefore I didn't recognize a fellow knight. A tragedy, I am sure. I would have given a reassuring "HUZZAH!" in your quest.

    I attempted a process of elimination but there were too many unknowns and the TD didn't put the "STATE" on the standings sheet. I ran into DG of the BCC...not sure he put 2+2 together and recognized "blunderprone" looking over his game on board 3 in the unrated section.

    In any case, if you were wondering, Blunderprone ...aka George Duval... was lurking on the premises around during the second round quietly sending out a reassuring "Huzzah".

     
  • At 6:37 AM, Blogger David Glickman said…

    BP - You should have introduced yourself (after the game, of course). I would have pointed Takchess out to you. In any case, I'm sure a picture of him playing at the event will grace the pages of BCC Weblog shortly. - DG

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Blunderprone, I appreciate the Huzzah in spirit. In the second round I was playing Robert Oresick as white playing a Smith Morra that never quite recieved compensation for the gambited pawn. I looked at the tourney table for you but of course did not see your name. I will write about the tourney in an upcoming session. All in all a good time.

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said…

    Tak,
    My wife gave me a new book for Christmas on the Smith Morra, entitled "The Modern Morra Gambit: A Dynamic Weapon Against the Sicilian" by Hannes Langrock. I'm through chapter 1 and I'm enjoying it......for an opening theory book.

    Another resource for the Smith Morra is Bookup's E-books they have a good one on the Smith Morra which I use to train.

    Anyway, not sure you are looking to get that into the Smith Morra, but those two resources are great start.

    PMD

     

Post a Comment

<< Home