Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Charge !


He who says he understands chess, understands nothing. Huebner


He who says he understands chess tactics understands nothing. Takchess
More on this NUT's theory 8)



With the all the new Knights, I am starting to feel like a World War One Veteran. Around a long time. I am going to play in a tournament on Saturday April 21st in Bow NH. So my plan of preparation? I am going to do some tactics exercises , followed by more tactical exercises and for good measure do some more tactical exercises.


I just finished my eighth circle of How to beat your Dad at chess and did the exercises for the first time in the back of the book. I was mildly dissatisfied with my results. I like working with this book in that it drills on 50 checkmates in depth. My hope is to be so familiar with these mates that I can toggle between various threats as my opponents defense changes.


Last January I entered a New Year Day tournament a little rusty tactically and had poor results consistent with that: missed a mate, played poorly in an opening etc. Funny I don't feel like a 960 rated player. Anyway time to right this ship.
Tuesday 1-200 ct-art
Wednesday-270
Thur - 1-20 9th circle htbydc
Friday finished 3rd circle on l20





2 Comments:

  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger Cratercat said…

    Hey Tak - my recent post is on a similar topic to yours, but more about weathering the whole event itself. Pale Morning Dun's advice made some particularly good points I hadn't considered before. Check it out.

    Also, sounds like your still getting a lot out of 'How to Beat your Dad at Chess' book; I've got an amazon gift card I've been patiently waiting to spend. Think I'm going to get that and Alburt's CCC vol.2 -CC

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Cratercat said…

    Can't put my finger on it as to why, but I'd say it's likely interpretation 2 (grins).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home