Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Anastasia's Mate



I have just started my sixth circle of the How to Beat your Dad in chess. The first chapter is the
Anastasia's mate which is pictured above. By repeating these mating patterns I am trying to burn them into my brain so that I can work toward setting them up from afar. Most of them of the mating patterns I recognize from Ct-art but I enjoy reading the discriptions and multiple examples of each.

One of my favorite active players, Magnus Carlsen played one here

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1269885

This fellow practically castled into this mate!

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1076899


Sunday 6th circle 1-34

3 Comments:

  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger Tom Chivers said…

    I wonder why it's called Anastasia's mate?

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Your answer cut and pasted from another site.

    By the way, this mating pattern is known as Anastasia's mate. The official story is that it first appeared in an 1803 novel entitled Anastasia and Chess, but apparently this attribution resulted from an error by a later authority.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said…

    I just started How to beat your dad at chess, and did Anastasia's mate last night.

    It is really cool having the mates I am seeing in Chess Tactics for Beginners reinforced with good explanations and variations in HTBYD.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home