Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

On The Attack - Jan Timman Review

I convinced my local library to buy On the Attack by Jan Timman. It contains representative games of the Modern Masters of Attack (during the last 25 years). He made it a point to select only games where the attack is sound ( I like it anyway). The games are annotated with a few concrete variations but with alot of discription about the position, tournament, strategy and some of his personal opinions and asides . Unlike Kasparov's My Greatest Pred's, this does not read like a Fritz chart.

This book is written for players at a higher level than I but I still feel with work I can get something out of it. I look to spend some time on it when I am done my Art of Attack.

It contains 30+ complete games which run 3-5 pages each with 2-3 games of each highlighted Modern Attacking GM as well as 30+ fragments of attacks.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1012326

Of particular interest to me is the Keres Attack against the Sicilian -first game Karpov-Sax. The potential of the pawn storm keeps the King in the center, it's timing and coordination of the moves, a passive knight sacrifice and a combination that springs from the position is a beautiful thing.

I feel at some point when I start understanding these games and their quirky positional play and exchange sacrifices , I will understand chess a lot better.

Honest BDK it's a good book ! You can trust me 8)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home