Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Friday, November 17, 2006

King Gambit as Black

I am getting alot better playing as black against the King Gambit. I was especially pleased with this game last night. Scottcat is a good fellow on Playchess ,he and I correspond on the King Gambit. He has beaten me quite a few time with the KG. I am pleased that I can start giving him some better games.

Especially of note are the three sacrifices made by black. I liked 6....d5 the positional pawn sacrifice which binds up his bishop. This is a move played in many Morphy games. I was able to make developing moves with threats which allowed for greater piece activity which allowed me to make the exchange sac and bishop sac at the end.

This defense is the Kieseritsky Gambit-Berlin variation and ones highlighted in Emms book about playing the open game as black.



[White "Scottcat"]
[Black "Takchess"]
[Result "0-1"]
1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3 g5 4.
h4 g4 5. Ne5 Nf6 6. Bc4 d5 7. exd5 Bd6 8. d4 Nbd7 9. Nxg4 Nxg4 10. Qxg4 Nf6 11.
Qf3 Rg8 12. O-O Bg4 13. Qf2 f3 14. gxf3 Bxf3+ 15. Bg5 Rxg5+ 16. hxg5 Ne4 17.
Qxf3 Qxg5+ 18. Qg2 Qe3+ 19. Kh1 Ng3+ 20. Kh2 Nxf1+ 21. Kh1 Ng3+ 22. Kh2 O-O-O
23. Nd2 Rg8 24. Nf3 Nf1+ 0-1

3 Comments:

  • At 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    After 9.Bxf4 I'm willing to play white anytime.

     
  • At 5:03 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Good point after 9.Bxf4 followed by a white 0-0 is a strong attacking position.

    My rule of thumb as white is anytime I can get my bishop to take that f4 pawn I do it even at the expense of losing my e4 pawn.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi takchess I enjoy your page especially since I play the King's Gambit (as White)also. I have the book by Neil McDonald and find it very interesting. I also have the Korchnoi/ Zak one, and other material, but of course the real lessons come from practice.
    My name on playchess is NoNameDefense and I also have a chess site at http://www.angelfire.com/fl/chessninja/
    Keep in touch !
    mjbb.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home