Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Monday, January 08, 2007

Another HH game and the Alapin Gambit


[White "BCC opponent "]
[Black "takchess"]

Cut and paste games in here
1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nf6 3. Nc3 Nxe4 4. Qh5 g6 5.Qxe5+ *

In the interest of full disclosure I played this ugly game in the Herb Healy tournment in the first round against a 1900 player with the Bishop Gambit. Thinking why not the fork trick. of course I played the wrong fourth move which lost the Knight. The game continued from there will little opportunity for counterplay and I eventually resigned.

No excuses just didn't think it through .


I have become quite fond of the alapin gambit aka alapin french aka alapin diemer gambit. I am just learning my way with it. Here is a game I played tonight. I don't think my bishop move was right. This opening leads to some interesting play.

[WhiteElo "1572"]
[BlackElo "1482"]

1. e4 {3} e6 {2} 2. d4 {6} d5 {2} 3. Be3 {11} dxe4 {4} 4. Nd2 {5} f5 {6} 5. f3
{5} exf3 {16} 6. Ngxf3 {4} Bb4 {8} 7. Ne5 {33} f4 {38} 8. Qh5+ {18} g6 {8} 9.
Nxg6 {3} fxe3 {14} 10. Bb5+ {55} c6 {10} 11. Ne5+ {10} Ke7 {51} 12. Qf7+ {18}
Kd6 {3} 13. Nec4+ {13} Kd5 {23} 14. Qh5+ {15} Kxd4 {46} 15. Qe5# {
(Lag: Av=2.23s, max=6.7s) 11} 1-0

Disclaimer:This game is offered for educational and instructional value only. Takchess offers no warranties either written, expressed or implied of the soundness of this gambit or the lines played within by either side. We are not responsible for the euphoric state derived from playing sharp tactical lines or the temporary loss of self esteem caused by your opponents accurate defense and counterplay. Your results may vary. 8)

6 Comments:

  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    compare your HH game error with the Cobra game

    you made exactly the same sort of mistake! you played a capture, and your opponent ignored your capture and played Qh5+. this might be a blind spot in your thinking process. realize that you are not the only one with threats-- your opponent has threats too!

    if you analyze your losses and make a database or a notebook of your games (esp your mistakes) you can improve drastically in short time. (eg, fix this blind spot) i have heard dozens and dozens of chess teachers/GM's say this, incl IM Jesse Kraai, GM Yermolinsky, blue-devil's teacher IM Schroer, etc...... but you must be objective-- harsh on your own moves when they are simply bad. (we all play lemons at times!)

    in the french game, you played very well. A stronger opponent would play the fairly obvious move 9...Nf6 when white is still better but at least black survives.

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger takchess said…

    hi Patrick,
    Thanks for your valid observations especially the comparison between the Cobra game .
    I have since run it through Fritz. After blacks move 7 which was his downfall, Fritz offered no improvements on my moves. It warned of the initiative robbing move Qxh8 which would of evened up the game. It also liked my bishop b5+ which I initially thought may of been suspect.

     
  • At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In the Alapin:
    7.Ne5 is illogical.

    You play 4.Nd2 and not 4.Nc3 in this line because you can then answer blacks Bb4 with c3.

    So 7.c3 was the move here. You were lucky he panicked.

     
  • At 6:25 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Tempo I appreciate the direction as I start out with this opening. I had a little laugh when I saw the structure I created in the center: tower of pawns and pieces after Ne5

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tak,

    Are you going to the BCC $10 open this Satruday? I may actually make it.

     
  • At 3:23 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Hi BP,
    sounds fun but I am scheduled for the rest of the winter swim season with my kids.
    good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home