Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Herb Healy Update


I have decided not to whine, complain or being overly self critical about my recent Duke of Brunswick-like performance at the Herb Healy one day tournament.

Statistically I did what I was supposed to do . Lose to a 1900,a 1600 and a 1400 rated player. Winning only one match.

An overview.

My first match was against a 1900 player who played the bishop gambit as white. I don't mind losing but not by losing a piece in the first handfull of moves.....


My second match was a Smith Morra against a 1600 was perhaps my best game but my attack was uninspired. Not at all like it's portrayed in my Smith-Mora Book. 8)

My third match was I played a 2 knights against a 1400 player playing a guicco pianoisamo like opening. I miscalculated what I thought was a forced mate and ended down a rook. Later against a strong attack which should of led to an easy win, I equalized and won back a rook, a passed pawn and traded queens. I ended losing in the endgame against a more active king. This is the one that was in my grasp.

The fourth game I won a king gambit which I played fairly poorly at.

Perhaps my most interesting game was against a warmup game where I played a sharp Alapin Gambit against the French. I am learning to enjoy this gambit. Anyway more specifics later.


All in All a rather fun day.

Here is part of my game with Robert Oresick it continued on for a little while longer.

Paste game here
[Event "Herb Healy 40+5"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2007.01.04"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Takchess, Jim"]
[Black "Oresick, Robert "]

{431MB, Fritz10.ctg, D3YSNJ81} 1. e4 c5 2. d4 cxd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Nxc3 Nc6 5.
Bc4 e6 6. Nf3 d6 7. O-O Bd7 8. Qe2 Be7 9. Rd1 Nf6 10. e5 dxe5 11. Nxe5 Nxe5 12.
Qxe5 O-O 13. Rd3 Qb6 14. Bh6 Qxf2+ 15. Kxf2 Ng4+ 16. Kg1 Nxe5 17. Rg3 Ng6 18.
Bd2 Rac8 19. Bd3 Rfd8 20. Rd1 Bc6 21. Bxg6 hxg6 22. Bf4 Rxd1+ 23. Nxd1 Bc5+ 24.
Ne3 Rd8 25. h3 Rd1+ 26. Kh2 Rd2 *

5 Comments:

  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Montse said…

    Happy New Year! We all play some bad games sooner or later. Just prevent it to become a habit.

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Its tough OTB competition in these here parts! You've done well none the less.

    I just started playing the SM as well and I like it.

    PS: Is there a phot of you in DG's blog posted by Robert Oresick?

     
  • At 2:27 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Here is my picture from last year I am on the right playing the smith-morra. I was wearing a red redsox tee-shirt on Monday.

     
  • At 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice to see you trying the Alapin Diemer gambit

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A win against a 1600 sounds great.

    > All in All a rather fun day.

    That is a great way of looking at it =).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home