Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

a missed tactic white to move



a missed tactic white to move . Check out why the knight can't threaten in the variation.



http://blog.chess.com/Takchess/a-missed-tactic



I am finishing up on the Focal Point on g7 in AOA and am moving on to Focal Point on h7 games.

I found this to be an interesting game below as a study on the attack on a castled position. Not in AOA but has some of the same ideas.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1233225&kpage=1#reply3

Interesting enough I'm finding some of the focal point games which are heavy attacks on a castled position lead not to mate but to material and positional superiority that lead to a win.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger drunknknite said…

    I was able to find Qf1 but not at first.

    I immediately started looking at forcing variations, but once I stepped back and figured that Black had essentially pinned his rook with nowhere to go, it was easy to spot.

    On a side note, my little brother is getting back into chess so I recommended AOA to him and I'm sure I'll have him check out your blog at some point so keep up the good work.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    I figure I will be working and posting on the book for a while. Glad to know some one is reading it.
    Jim

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    Some blogs are very interesting to read but difficult to comment on in a non-trivial way. This is such blog. The diagram is inspiring me btw.

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger BlunderProne said…

    Tak,

    I am just now getting caught up with your AOA posts. Nice series. Attacking the castled King is always a good topic. Lately, I've been studying Lasker's double Bishop sacs on h7 and g7 with the right positional setup. These typically require the Bishops to be on both diagonals b1-h7 and a1-h8. The queen needs to be able to to h5 and f4 is advanced to do a rook lift to f3.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Takguy said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger takchess said…

    BP,

    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1000591

    here are some double bishop sacs. Well worth studying this as well as the greek gift sac both which has some rules of thumbs that need to be paid attention to.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home