Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Monday, May 19, 2008

Tactical Exercises update

I split Level 40 into two halves for minicircles . I just finished my third mc of the second half of level 30. I solve these exercises with a low key attitude doing them at times with the Red Sox or Celtics in the background. I am not making great gains from circle to circle but by the time I reach 8 times I seem to know them reasonable well.

Today, I am convinced that understanding why the tactic works and being able to verbalize (narrate) the characteristics of the position is an important part of tactical training. At one point I was convinced that I would see a position and automagically relate it to the tactical solution. This only happens after hours of missteps, narrating and working through the problems. This is the door I must pass before the magic occurs.

Unsure if I will move on to Level 50 afterwards.

I may classify some of the Ct-art problems by type of mate :Boden Mate, Anastasia mate , Arabian Mate etc. and if I do I will post it on this site.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger BlunderProne said…

    I think it helps to use your OWN terms to label them. For instance, The anastasia's mate to me is a simple rook and knight corridor mate with a queen sac on top.

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    It took me two years to be able to remember the diference from the anastasia mate from the arabian so I'll try to continue using that name. I actually find the naming conventions in how to beat your dad at chess helpful. But I have nicknamed some tactics found here.

    http://takchess.blogspot.com/search?q=coat+rack

     

Post a Comment

<< Home