Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Englund against a 2145 player


From Playchess.com this am.

As the arrows suggest in the diagram black to move (me) missed a decisive tactic. I find it interesting that even a better player missed the same tactic as it allowed his queen to be captured.

Hmmm. Pretty basic stuff. I think a little Ct-Art again might do me wonders................



At move 16 I was up a .85 of a pawn. Then the tide turned but true to form I was attacking till the end. Fritz liked 17 g4. In fact still ahead till my big mistake which was 18....Be6.
I do like it when better players want a breather and play me. I don't think I would want a steady diet of being kicked around however mixed in with my regular games it is fun.





7 Comments:

  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said…

    Tak: now, thass what I'm talkin about! I've had a lot of fun playing it so far, and lots of losses too, all fun and instructive.

    Dude, I just remember you play the Traxler. And you called this garbage?

    :)

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger The retired pawn said…

    Tak: The Sicilian I understand, but this is outside my ken. I play the Kings Gambit on occasion to disturb the tournament players. You should see the look on their face. Also, the Scotch Gambit is used to good effect. Maybe I should study this carefully?

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger takchess said…

    well RP, he who understands the Sicilian understands much.

    I think it is worth a try. It has a feel somewhat like the Danish Gambit. I will play the KG in any tournament games that they would let me although I am enjoying the Danish Gambit. I would check blue devils knight blog for other info on this line.

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    The story of Claude Bloodgood after which this variation of the Englund gambit is named is worth reading.

     
  • At 5:26 AM, Blogger takchess said…

    Thanks tempo! It's funny I was looking for this line in the Uncommon gambits by Shiller and it was not mentioned. Nice to learn the name. I don't think it was named after Bloodgood but he wrote a book on it.

    http://www.labatechess.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=646&osCsid=30639c30a2c4b386eff21e5b563c818e

    Bloodgood story is told in depth in the book the Chess Artist.

     
  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said…

    It seems I'm messing up names and is it called the Blackburne/Hartlaub gambit in stead of the Hartlaub/Bloodgood gambit.

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Cratercat said…

    Tak - you are the master of throwing the opponent off of their stride. Keep exploring.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home