Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Saturday, November 27, 2010

How to Defend in Chess: Learn from the World Champions


A while back I studied Vukovic's The Art of Attack and discussed it on this blog. I was hoping for someone to join me but as I recall I was the lone member of the A of A bookclub. 8) All in all it was time well spent.

I'm turning the tables and now studying Colin Crouch's book How to Defend in Chess: Learn from the World Champions . This is a study of defense using mostly Lasker and Petrosian games with other players games thrown in as suplementary games . http://www.chessgames.com/ had all but two of the games . I created this game collection . Although I enjoy an attacking style, I appreciate good defense and need to understand how to best defend bad positions.
So here we go. Crouch points out that it's important to win games; it's equally important not to lose them.
He writes in his preface: It's now well understood that an advantage may be genuine enough but insuficient to force a win against good play. For the player with the worst situation to carry such a position through to safety is the very basis of sophisticated defensive technique.
I want to be that guy........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home