Takchess Chess Improvement

A Novice chessplayer works to get better at chess using an improvement program based upon the methods of Michael de la Maza and the teachings of Dan Heisman

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Best Lessons of a chess coach


I took Best Lessons of a Chess Coach off the shelf and did a deep study of the first chapter. For those unfamilar with this book, the author Sunil Weeramantry takes a chess game and walks through it with a chess student. You sit in looking over their shoulders as the student is asked a series of questions about the game.

I took my book and the board over to the Riverwalk Cakery a coffeeshop here in Nashua and played through it and the variations. I had read this chapter before but did put enough energy in it to get the true benefit of it. This time I took my time and when asked what move should be played and why I thought about it instead of peaking at the answer.

The first lesson is this game and has a strong combination to end it.


http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1125461

Enjoyable to spend an hour and a half drinking coffee and working with the book. I imagine this is the closest thing that self study can be to working with a chess coach.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've got the book too! I look forward to start on it.

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cool - I was unaware of that book. My reading's a bit backlogged but down the road I'll look for it. Good concept.
    ds

     

Post a Comment

<< Home